So here we are in 2014. Happy new year! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and fabulous New Year’s Eve celebration. I’m writing this post on my iPad and it’s the first time I’ve used the WordPress app, so bear with me while I try to get my head around it. I don’t know how the layout will look, but fingers crossed it doesn’t look too bad.

We moved into the new house a week before Christmas, although it took three truck loads over two days as the
removalists rather underestimated how much stuff we had when they quoted. The old house looked pretty sad all empty. The photos below show how much stuff wouldn’t fit in the truck and was left behind on the front lawn while they scrambled for another truck.20140102-230303.jpg

20140102-230315.jpg

20140102-230324.jpg

20140102-230334.jpg

20140102-230343.jpg

20140102-230403.jpg

20140102-230423.jpg

20140102-230411.jpg

But it all arrived safely in the end (except the gingerbread house) and we got the house ready for Christmas as quickly as possible. The kids are settling in well, although Poppy keeps talking about going back to our real house in Sydney. We are slowly getting unpacked and sorted, although we seem to be creating more mess than anything else. Trying to work out what goes where and how everything will fit and work. We still have about 20 boxes that I haven’t tackled yet, but we just wanted to get organised to enjoy Christmas before ploughing through it all. It was emotional moving but we are enjoying our new digs and it feels like we never left. The house and pool are fabulous and spacious and it’s amazing having so much room. 20140102-230520.jpg

20140102-230536.jpg

20140102-230545.jpg

20140102-230509.jpg

20140102-230430.jpg

20140102-230438.jpg

20140102-230454.jpg

20140102-230501.jpg

20140102-230446.jpg

It’s been a few weeks since I posted despite my best intentions, as I had hoped to keep you updated the moment we moved in. But we are still without internet access despite my having organised it with Telstra in November. It seems despite being only 10 minutes to town we are unable to get ADSL, or mobile broadband, so our next best option is via a local provider and radio tower. But we won’t find out if we can get the signal until next week. Our reception on the iPhones and iPad is slow and patchy at best, so it’s been tricky keeping in touch via the blog or social media. My husband was hoping to work from home a few days a week, but is having to rent a serviced office in the meantime in order to get half decent internet access and be able to work. I hope it’s sorted soon so I can get back to regular posts and updates, but if I’m out of touch for periods that’s why.

20140102-233544.jpg

20140102-233536.jpg

20140102-233529.jpg

20140102-233522.jpg

20140102-233515.jpg
I’ll post some pics of our Christmas next, if this post works.
Mel

Tagged with →

15 Responses to Welcome to our new house and 2014!

1. Kate Bashford says:

Ooh so exciting! Am perched on the edge of my seat waiting for more updates…..wishing you all happy times in this home x

2. Anne H says:

Hi again, Mel.

It seems that the previous five or six comments before Kate’s have disappeared into the ether! And one of them was my first ever comment on your blog :-(

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog and I have been itching to see you work your magic on your glorious new home. With such magnificent “bones” to work with, I am sure you will revel in tweaking it to your taste.

Although I’m sure it’s a right pain to keep the blog going with such poor connection, your efforts are greatly appreciated – please keep it coming!

3. This just makes me want to up sticks and move to a lovely big home on land! First comment here too but I just wanted to say how lovely it all looks and I’m looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

4. Need to come visit but I fear I may be FAR too jealous.. OMG how big is that main bedroom?!

5. Anastasia says:

How much fun are you going to have fixing up that gorgeous house!!!! I’m loving the space!!! I’m in Bowral holidaying and it is so lovely and peaceful. Not sure ill want to head back to be honest. Love the house…. Enjoy. Xx

6. Alex says:

Welcome back to the Highlands…. I feel your pain re internet etc although I’m smack bang in town, there’s no other option than Telstra (which of course never do the good deals) and I’ve heard many a local complaining about the lack of service whilst looking at various router systems and boosters in Dick Smiths on Bong Bong. Spending a princely sum on a new NBN ready router helped us, but even though you’re about 5 -10 mins drive from me, location seem to make all the difference it seems! Am looking forward to seeing what you do with the place and hopefully running into you in town some time.

7. Sam says:

beautiful home, you must be so thrilled.x

8. Your new home is beautiful! And in such a beautiful location. Looking forward to more updates once you get the internet access sorted! :-)

9. mel says:

Congrats on surviving the move with your sanity intact! The house looks amazing, the room sizes are enormous and like everyone else i will be waiting to see you put the Mel stamp on it all. Your kitchen was the inspiration for me to finally commit to marble and now it is in I am so happy ( damn those white spots from heavy handed children that you warned me about though!). Enjoy the settling in bit, do not despair it took me about 2 months to get the everyday boxes unpacked. mel x

10. Such a beautiful home. I know it’s stressful…but soon you will make it your own!

11. Lisa Warren says:

I can’t wait to see how you make this house your home! The bones look fantastic.Good luck with the internet issues. I hope they can resolve it for you soon.

12. Lesley says:

I´ve just come across your Blog and I´m hooked. I can´t wait to see what you do to your new home.

13. Tam says:

Waiting for your next post, when you will start to talk about “paint colour” maybe? Congrats on the new house!

14. Thea says:

It looks great. Congratulations! May you have lots of happy moments in there.

15. L. Donahower says:

Congratulations! Your new home looks great! Look forward to your post on decorating it!